Friday, June 26, 2009

Branding

Kerry Don told me Thursday morning at 6:45 a.m. "Oh they're branding our calves on the Gardner place this morning." It was nice to have 15 minutes notice! We threw on some clothes and headed out! .
When we got there the guys were heading out to gather the cows and calves. I really like this picture. The boys hung out with Ewell's dog... he's pretty sweet.

Justin's boot.

The guys put the boys right to work giving shots.

Pake's right hand was so swollen that it wasn't much help, but the guys rigged him up by putting the medicine bottle in his belt. It worked pretty good.

The calves were too big for the boys to help flank, maybe next year.

I'd love to know what Tate is telling Alan.

Some pretty good cowboys... all local Tulia guys: Ewell and Blake are brothers, Justin, and Alan with Pake and Tate. The boys got to pick a calf and put their ear tag in his ear. They picked the two biggest black bull calves well they're steers now!

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Love the pictures of the branding...some of my favorite memories are working cattle with all those guys and their dads and uncles. I have had many an adventure with those guys! I'm back in Tulia for most of July so if you're bored--give me a call, I'm always up for something!