Friday, September 30, 2011

The Badger Story

Y'all ain't gonna believe this!  Wait..... no if y'all know us actually you probably will.

Well y'all know my husband likes to collect critters.  AND he's always wanted a badger.  Yes I said a badger.  Why?  Heck if I know, you'll have to ask him.  ANYway, here's our badger story....

KD calls, "Hey Pake saw a badger go in hole over on the Keim place, you know right there where they swathed the corn stalks.  So we put a shovel in the hole and we're headed to get the water truck, you wanna come take some pictures?"

My reply, "Whatever, last time you had this bright idea it was just a skunk!!!!"

Anyway, I grabbed my camera and jumped in the pick-up.

Sure enough Pake wasn't seeing things, as soon as they started the water shooting down in her hole, here she came.  Pake was so excited, "It's a badger!  It really is!" 

And I'll be durn if it wasn't a badger. I've never seen one for more than a few seconds.  KD pulled the trigger and he still hasn't stopped smiling about gettin him a badger!


We have quality family time together, drowning out badgers on a Sunday afternoon.


Who knew the water truck could be so useful?

She was so nasty and smelled almost as nice as a skunk.

So KD promptly called his taxidermist (he has him on speed dial) and asked what we needed to do. 
"Should we wash her?  Blow dry her before we put her in the freezer?"  I'm serious, I'm not making that part up.


Yep y'all guessed it, they washed and blow dried her.  Yes they used my blow dryer....  I'm still not sure how I feel about this.  I might need counseling. 

Then, I proudly texted all my friends and family the picture.  Tori, my baby sis, matter of factly, texts me back.  Did you know that dachshunds are badger hunting dogs?  Come to find out her and Scout had been reading a book about dogs and they learned this valuable fact. 

I didn't really believe my sis, so I looked it up on Wikipedia and sure enough.....
The dachshund (UK: /ˈdæksənd/, US: /ˈdɑːkshənd/, German: [ˈdaksˌhʊnt]) is a short-legged, long-bodied dog breed belonging to the hound family. The standard size dachshund was bred to scent, chase, and flush out badgers and other burrow-dwelling animals, while the miniature dachshund was developed to hunt smaller prey such as rabbits. In the American West they have also been used to hunt prairie dogs.

Well I'll be durn, we got us a badger hunting dog and didn't even know it.

No comments: