Monday, June 25, 2012

"You been farming long?"

I've always loved this picture.  My grandmother had it framed in her house, and I always thought it was so cute.  Then, I married a farmer, had two boys and now this picture reminds me of my boys.  Well the caption "You been farming long?"  rings true around here.... or maybe it's just that we've been farming LONG hours. 

Pake dumping the grain buggie at Mrs Cherry's place near Vigo Park (about 25 miles from our house).  It's 2 sections, which Pake informed me that means it's 8 miles around it.  It's big and rough and not fun to cut but the crew got it done.  

I hauled them supper.  This is what farm boys look like: Pake, Ty, Kyser and Hunter.  They're rough, they're tough, they're dirty and they're greasey.... and I love 'em!


This is Mrs Cherry's house and we got brave and went inside.  Well we followed Delwin and he was armed! Yes, he was armed with a hoe! Thankfully, we didn't run into any rattlers. Anyway, I've always wanted to go inside since she's been gone.  Unfortunately, there's not anything worth having in there anymore. We visited Mrs. Cherry about 15 years back when she was still living there and she had the biggest doll collection, I had ever seen.  Just thought I'd share that interesting fact... lol!  Anyway, now y'all know why this farm is named "Mrs Cherry's," actually most farms have names and usually it goes back to the orginal owners...

After 3 hard days of cutting at Mrs. Cherry's the crew moved home... 3 combines and two tractor/grain buggies!  I was so glad they were home and so glad they're done... well maybe unless they end up helping out a neighbor.

We've also been feeding bottle calves.  This little heifer makes the 7th one this year.  We don't choose to have bottle calves, but we take them in when, for whatever reason, their Momma doesn't take care of them.  Actually, we've all had fun with the babies. They really are cute.  We have one that thinks he's a dog... Pake named him "Bunctious."

I call this the BIG GREEN MONSTER Machine.  Kerry Don and the BIG GREEN MONSTER machine have become quite close buddies... they've been spending hours together.  I'm kinda getting jealous! 

What do Kerry Don and the BIG GREEN MONSTER machine do?  Well they spray crops.  Cotton crops like this, that have lots and lots of weeds.  Truth be told, we're sorta tired of weeds around here!

Farmin's hard work, but it's just a way of life for us!  We love it and we count our blessings everyday!


No comments: