Thursday, August 12, 2010

Pickle Predicament

I've gotten my self into quite the predicament.... a PICKLE predicament that is. See everyone at my house loves pickles! DILL pickles and we have to make regular trips to Walmart to buy the biggest jar they sell. So the other day Colene and Layne gave us a box of fresh cucumbers from their garden. I was supposed to share the cucumbers with my neighbors but they were so good I didn't want to share. And I got to thinking about how popular pickles are around here, and I thought I could make homemade pickles. So I'm not in a pickle, I just want to make some pickles =) OK stop laughing..... I had to call about 10 people to find out what to do...

"Hey 'so and so' do you know how to make pickles?"

"WHAT? Girl what are you talking about? Tandy have you lost your marbles?"
or
"Oh sure my grandmother use to make pickles and they were so good,
but I don't know how to make them"

finally

"Anna just made pickles..... call her" So I called her and she was so sweet and she told me exactly what to do and it was really easy. I didn't actually seal the jars (now that would be too much trouble right?) but she said you can store them in the fridge for at least a year. So here's my pickle story and I'm stickin to it!

These fresh little cucumbers chilled out in ice water for about an hour. This crisps them up!

Then, I cut them into spears.

Next, I put a fresh garlic clove, a bay leaf, and a sprig of fresh dill in the bottom of each jar. In the meantime, I boiled vinegar, water and the pickle spices packet.


After that, I stuffed all my little cucumber spears into my jars. Aren't those little suckers cute?



Finally I ladeled the vinegar mixture into each jar, screwed the lids on and stuck them in the fridge. Some say they must pickle for a month to be tasty. Kerry Don said you know I'm not going to wait that long. I hope they're good.... yall come see me and we'll have a pickle party =)



All this pickle business made me think of this saying my Dad used to always say.....


Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
Did Peter Piper pick a peck of pickled peppers?
If Peter Piper Picked a peck of pickled peppers,
Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?

Can you say that twice fast?

No comments: